Question:

From Staten Island, New York, USA:

My 15 year old attends a Catholic high school which refuses to sell a beverage he can drink at lunch time. They sell regular soda and milk. They do not sell diet soda or water. Are Catholic schools exempt from conforming with American with Disabilities Act regulations? Is there anything I can do?

Answer:

First, the laws provide for reasonable accommodations and are applicable to school receiving Federal funding. So, if this parochial school is not getting any such funding, the laws would not apply. See The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes.

Secondly, I think many people would not believe your request is reasonable. Milk is perfectly acceptable and water (albeit from a faucet or fountain) is certainly available. If your son wishes to have bottled water or a sugar-free drink at lunch, he can always bring it with him. However, you might poll other parents and see if other students would purchase these beverages if they were able to. Perhaps then, the school might be willing to have them on-hand.

SS

Posted to School and Daycare