From Tucson, Arizona, USA:

My seven year old daughter, newly diagnosed, is doing well with the insulin shots but detests the four to five time a day finger pricks. I've heard about some new methods coming out for obtaining blood sugar readings. Is anything else available to her at this current time?

There is a lot of promising research about alternative methods of getting blood glucose or blood glucose equivalent readings, but none are available at this time. Lasers as well as interstitial measurements are possibilities being considered. Make sure you are using very fine lancets and make sure you are using the meters that need much smaller drops of blood since both these factors would make it easier for your daughter. Also, talk to your daughter's diabetes team for specific advice.

[Editor's comment: Your daughter should try either the FreeStyle or One Touch® Ultra monitoring systems. SS]