From Honolulu, Hawaii, USA:

After 56 years of being on insulin therapy for type 1 diabetes, I have no retinopathy and my blood pressure is normal. Many years ago, I belatedly learned that manufacturers of then current urine glucose tests did not publicize the fact that Vitamin C could cause in false normal results even when blood glucose was high as 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L]. Current blood glucose test strips in research texts also indicate that certain doses of Vitamins C and E also negate true test results, but neither labels nor patient enclosure sheets warn patients of these test distortions. Are the A1c results also distorted & and hidden from public? I daily take these amounts of vitamins and would like to know.

Older urine test strips had lots of things that interfered with glucose readings, but on a practical basis, most did not affect people with diabetes very commonly. The newer strips are much more specific and have far fewer interfering substances. You may want to visit the individual manufacturer's website since they would either have these listed or you could ask a question to their medical help team. All of these companies are very reputable and will answer such questions. What you suggest about hiding such information is not really the fact, even in the years past, since diabetes professionals all knew about such problems for many years. There really is not a conspiracy to hide such information from the public or the health care teams.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c