From Israel:

My 11 year old daughter, diagnosed three years ago with type 1 diabetes, is on the pump and is now in the hospital with severe stomach pains, which is most probably appendicitis. Is there anything I should know about the procedure (if indeed it is appendicitis), other than the fact that we need to monitor her sugar levels very closely? The surgeon is in close contact with our diabetes team. Are stomach pains common in children with type 1 diabetes?

I think that it would be inappropriate for me to make suggestions for blood sugar management at this time. One point, however, that you might bring up with her diabetes doctor is the possibility that her acute abdominal pain is linked to celiac disease with or without an intussusception. It might help to get an antitransglutaminase antibody test done. Though the result will not affect the surgical decision, treatment, if called for, may prevent a recurrence.

[Editor's comment: Also see Surgery Pre-Op Advice for some additional thoughts. SS]

Posted to Surgery