From Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes, I am 5 feet 7 inches tall, and, before I was diagnosed, I weighed over 200 pounds, but now I am lucky if I reach 120 pounds which looks very unhealthy. All the books I buy tell you how you can lose weight, but what I need to know is how to gain weight.

You're right -- a lot of people with type 2 diabetes are instructed to lose weight because of the excess weight and accompanying insulin resistance that occurs.

Hopefully, you will not continue to lose weight. Maybe you lost some weight before diagnosis because of the diabetes, but now that you are taking care of your diabetes, the best way to maintain an optimal and healthy weight is to maintain a healthy meal plan and control your blood sugars. An "ideal" weight for you based on your height and sex is approximately 135 pounds. Eating well balanced meals and taking care of yourself will allow you to gain a little weight but not gain too much.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

I am missing some information such as how old you are, if you have any complications from your diabetes, how long you have had diabetes, your activity level, your insulin doses and delivery system and your blood glucose control. I hope you are being followed by a diabetes team in your area since your meal plan needs to correspond to your insulin doses and vice versa. I am sure if you brought this question up to your diabetes team a meal plan for gradual weight gain can be worked out.

[Editor's comment: You should check with your physician about an evaluation for other disorders that might cause weight loss, such as hyperthyroidism. WWQ]

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss