From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

My mother was recently diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia which the doctor said this was caused by underlying diabetes. What does this mean? She has been bleeding for about two months off and on and was given Provera to stop the bleeding, but it has not stopped. The doctor also said this was due to underlying diabetes. Can this non-stop bleeding cause underlying diabetes? In the past two weeks, she has lost seven pounds, is this be a symptom of underlying diabetes?

I am not sure what is meant by the statement that having the underlying diabetes caused endometrial hyperplasia. Often, endometrial hyperplasia is caused by obesity and obesity is related to diabetes. I would be worried that the weight loss may be due to poorly controlled diabetes. This needs to be checked out by your mother's physician.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Jones:

The endometrial hyperplasia is caused by excess or prolonged estrogen exposure. This can have many causes. It is usually related to anovulation such as in early menarche, early menopause, and in women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Diabetes is associated with PCOS, but is not directly a cause. A screening test for diabetes would be worthwhile. If the bleeding has not resolved with medical therapy, then she needs further evaluation. If she has diabetes, this could account for weight loss, but I am also concerned about malignancy.