From Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA:

Unfortunately, I've forgotten to give my daughter her insulin shots three times in the last few months. Her diabetes team has expressed some concern over this and my ex-husband referred me to Child Protective Services on this issue. It seems to me that other parents must miss shots sometimes, too. What is your experience on parents forgetting to give shots?

All of us are human, but it obviously isn't healthy for your child to miss insulin injections. This occurs intermittently but rarely more than once or twice, in our experience. The key questions are: Why has this happened so often? How sick did your daughter get? What is her general level of control?

You may want to talk to your daughter's diabetes team and work out alternative strategies to minimize this from recurring. If your daughter is old enough, you may want to enlist her help in reminding you if there is sometimes too much going on at the times of insulin injections. Go back to your diabetes team and problem solve so that this does not become a major health issue and also does not become a major point of battle with your ex!

[Editor's comment: I completely agree with Dr Brink. It also might be helpful for you to get a watch to remind you if you are forgetting. Check out MeDose. SS]

Posted to Other Social Issues