From Maryland, USA:

My mother is suffering from diabetes, and I want to buy her a diabetes monitoring device, but there are so many devices on the market that I am confused about which one to buy.

You're right, there are many good blood glucose meters to choose from. I'd suggest that you look at our reviews of meters and talk with your mom about the features that she's most interested in. You may also want to speak with her diabetes educator to learn what the office uses, so that the staff can download your mom's meter data directly into the office computers.

[Editor's comment: See Which blood glucose meter to get?, at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional advice. WWQ]