Question:

From Milton Keynes, United Kingdom:

Since I have type 2 diabetes, I own a glucose meter so I recently measured my mother (who is in her early seventies) after an evening meal, and her reading was almost 12 mmol/L [216 mg/dl]. She says she does not feel unusually thirsty, or anything else like that. I have gently suggested that she mention it to her doctor, but I don't think she will unless I say something more definite. What should I tell her about the implications of this measurement?

Answer:

It depends upon how long after the meal you measured her glucose. Anyway, if she isn't keen on mentioning it to her doctor and is symptom-free then it is really up to her.

[Editor's comment: According to the latest recommendations, people your mother's age should be routinely screened for diabetes annually. A glucose in this range is not normal, regardless of how long after a meal it was measured. However, a result obtained by glucose meter is not diagnostic.

I would be honest with your mother, telling her you are concerned about the high number. I would then suggest that she see her physician for proper screening even if she is symptom-free at this time. It is possible that she does have symptoms of diabetes and is denying them. Offer to go with her, if that will help. SS]