From Milton Keynes, United Kingdom:

Since I have type 2 diabetes, I own a glucose meter so I recently measured my mother (who is in her early seventies) after an evening meal, and her reading was almost 12 mmol/L [216 mg/dl]. She says she does not feel unusually thirsty, or anything else like that. I have gently suggested that she mention it to her doctor, but I don't think she will unless I say something more definite. What should I tell her about the implications of this measurement?

It depends upon how long after the meal you measured her glucose. Anyway, if she isn't keen on mentioning it to her doctor and is symptom-free then it is really up to her.

[Editor's comment: According to the latest recommendations, people your mother's age should be routinely screened for diabetes annually. A glucose in this range is not normal, regardless of how long after a meal it was measured. However, a result obtained by glucose meter is not diagnostic.

I would be honest with your mother, telling her you are concerned about the high number. I would then suggest that she see her physician for proper screening even if she is symptom-free at this time. It is possible that she does have symptoms of diabetes and is denying them. Offer to go with her, if that will help. SS]