Question:

I am a 16 year old female with type 1 diabetes for 10 years, and over the last two and a half years, my blood sugar levels just will not come down. If I lower my insulin then my levels go too high, but if I increase my insulin my levels go too low. I just cannot get it right.

Answer:

There's not very much I can do via e-mail. Really what you must do is to be completely honest with your diabetes team about what you eat, your blood sugar results and your insulin doses. All of this information will be necessary to make any sensible evaluation. However, common causes of 'brittleness' are too variable a diet, lumpy injection sites, erratic timing of insulin injections and too much variation in dosage.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA