Question:

From Deville, Louisiana, USA:

I am a child specific aide to a six year old girl diagnosed with diabetes about six months ago, and her blood sugars are very irregular (67-488 mg/dl [3.7-27.1 mmol/L]). Is it common for a child to have sugars like this? What is a normal range for a child her age?

Answer:

I confess that I have never heard of a child specific aide so I don't know what you do. However, you should ensure that you have all of the appropriate information from your charge's diabetes care team so that you can manage her consistently with her parents.

In general terms, the goal on insulin therapy is to have most blood glucose levels between 4 and 10 mmol/L [72-180mg/dl].