Question:

From England:

My six year old has had diabetes for three years, I am led to believe that siblings have a 20% chance of developing diabetes, and I am concerned for my son who is nine years old. He does eat a fairly healthy diet, plays football, and does Irish dancing twice a week. Although not symptomatic, he is slightly overweight and at the moment weighs 6 stones, 8 pounds [92 pounds]. Is this about average for his age?

Answer:

The figure of 20% is too high. The true risk (in non-twin siblings) is around 6%. Weight has no bearing on risk for type 1 diabetes but is a risk factor (i.e. obesity) for the completely separate condition of type 2 diabetes in later life.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity