Question:

From McCleary, Washington, USA:

I was diagnosed with a abnormal form of hypoglycemia earlier this month. This form is like a person with diabetes gets to where, if my glucose levels get low, I get symptoms of that and need to eat something with sugar. My doctor told me that because of my size (I'm 221 pounds) and having hypoglycemia, I could possibly get diabetes within the next 10 years. Is it true that all hypoglycemics get diabetes in the future? Is there a way to cure the hypoglycemia?

Answer:

As to the hypoglycemia, it does not presage typeá2, which in view of your weight would be the type to which you would be most vulnerable. It is occasionally a presenting symptom of typeá1A (autoimmune) diabetes.Treatment of hypoglycemia depends of course on a diagnosis of the specific cause.

[Editor's comment: See Other causes of hypoglycemia at the Diabetes Monitor for information on reasons that hypoglycemia might occur. WWQ]