Question:

From Odessa, Texas, USA:

I have had diabetes for the last 32 years, and I take five injections a day. Four months ago, I broke out in a rash. They did a biopsy on one of the raised bumps which indicated the rash was caused by a medication. I only take Humalog, Humulin Ultralente and NPH, and Levoxyl [a thyroid hormone supplement]. Can I be allergic to the insulin? I am so tired of itching.

Answer:

Rarely, but yes. Usually it isn't the insulin but other parts of the molecules used to make the insulin. If real, there is a rapid desensitization process outlined by the insulin manufacturers. Ask your doctor to contact the manufacturer of the insulin (Eli Lilly) for information.