From San Jose, California, USA:

My eight and a half year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for three and half years, was just recently diagnosed with ADHD, and both her diabetes doctor and pediatrician say that the medication for the ADHD will cause her blood sugars to go completely out of control. Do you have any suggestions? She is having a real hard time paying attention in class and has already been held back once in first grade so any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

We have many children in our practice, adolescents and young adults as well, who have ADHD, and take standard ADHD medications for many years without any problems related to glucose control. So, I'm puzzled by the advice that you received. I would agree that treating the ADHD is critically important and may actually help with the treatment of diabetes at the same time that it helps with learning in school, homework and general behavior issues.

Posted to ADHD