Question:

From Bartlett, Illinois, USA:

My almost three year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 10 months of age, and we have heard conflicting information on what blood tests should be performed annually. Can you tell me the what tests should be completed?

Answer:

Other than those for blood sugar, most centers now recommend a hemoglobin A1c test quarterly rather than annually. Tests for urinary microalbumin are not indicated in early childhood. Any falling off in the growth chart merits a TSH test for thyroid insufficiency, and, in some centers, sustained difficulty in control would suggest an anti-transglutaminase test for celiac syndrome. Antibody tests are really of value only at the time of diagnosis to confirm that the diabetes is indeed autoimmune.

[Editor's comment: See ISPAD Consensus Guidelines 2000. SS]

DTQ-20020104124931B