Question:

From Iredell, Texas, USA:

My mother had type 2 diabetes for at least five years, she took the drug Rezulin for a month or two, and died 10 months ago. She was only sick for a week and said it felt like her like something in her right side had torn lose. When she died, I was with her, and after she died she had a lot of black blood come up. Could that be caused from liver damage? Could that have caused her to die so suddenly? Was she on Rezulin long enough to damage her liver?

Answer:

My response to this is that death from liver disease may be a possibility, but is only conjecture. Additional data from laboratory results, medical records, and an autopsy would be needed to confirm any suspicion that Rezulin [troglitazone] caused her death.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes