From Clifton, New Jersey, USA:

I am a 38 year old female, have had diabetes treated with twice daily insulin for nine years, and would also like to have a baby before the age of 40. I also take Glucophage XR at lunchtime, and since my sugars become high between the hours of 3:00 to 6:00 am, my doctor suggested that I take another Glucophage XR at 10:00 pm.

I feel like I'm taking too much medications do you think it's normal to take two Glucophage XR per day? I understand it's a one a day pill only, and also, my doctor said the Glucophage XR should help me to become pregnant. (My problem is that I don't ovulate as much I was told I have lazy ovaries>), and even though I have a monthly period, it comes on different days.

Please let me know what you think. I need some advice. As far as my sugar levels, I am trying my best to be under tight control, but sometimes it becomes very difficult, but I also know that to become pregnant, sugars should be in tight control.

The Glucophage XR [metformin] twice a day along with insulin seems excessive. If you are having that much trouble controlling your blood sugars, you may want to consider using an insulin pump. which may benefit you with improved control prior to trying to conceive.

Glucophage is used in women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome to improve ovulation. This would help you if you have insulin resistance versus a total lack of insulin production. There are other medications (Clomid) that you can take that will improve ovulation. You should speak with your gynecologist about this.

It is best to be in good control prior to conception to reduce the risk of fetal abnormalities. Once again, speak with your physician about your plan to give some direction to your management. Also, ask your physician for a prescription for folate and start taking it before you try for a pregnancy.

[Editor's comment: It's not clear from your question if you are under the care of an endocrinologist -- if not, ask for a referral. Also, see Planning a pregnancy , at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts. WWQ]

Posted to Family Planning