From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

I recently received an injection of penicillin, and I experienced pain around the injection site which radiated down my leg for three days. Do people with diabetes who inject insulin experience the persistent pain like I experienced from the antibiotic? I am curious since I administer four injections of insulin per day to my four year old son.

People with diabetes shouldn't have any altered sensations from injections, nor should folks without diabetes. A penicillin injection is in the deep muscle. That has a tendency to be quite sore for sometimes a week. In addition, the pain can radiate down the leg if a nerve in the muscle is irritated by the injection or the penicillin. That pain will subside and is not unusual with a penicillin injection.

Injections of insulin are given into fat -- not muscle. They are typically painless when given with appropriate technique.