From a school nurse in Columbia Falls, Montana, USA:

I am seeing a pattern of learning problems in some of my grade school children with diabetes. They seem to have gaps in the learning process, and inability to grasp certain concepts. Can you send me information about learning problems in children who have diabetes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure I have a bibliography to give you more than you might be able to get off the National Library of Medicine or PubMed websites.

Clearly, I agree that swings in glucose contribute to problems learning. I would watch the children and be their advocate with the teachers when you see a definite problem with sugar. Most especially the lows.

[Editor's comment: If you search PubMed using "diabetes+learning disabilities", there are 673 citations. Most interesting is the latest, McCarthy AM, Lindgren S, Mengeling MA, Tsalikian E, Engvall JC, Effects of diabetes on learning in children, PEDIATRICS Vol. 109 No. 1 January 2002, pp. e9. SS]

Posted to School and Daycare