From Ellicottville, New York, USA:

I've heard all the warnings about saccharin and aspartame (Sweet 'n Low and Equal). Are the warnings valid enough for saccharin and aspartame to be limited in a diet for someone with diabetes?

I can understand your hesitation with some of the misinformation that has spread in the media with regards to the safety of aspartame and saccharin. The studies done on these sweeteners were primarily done with lab animals as opposed to human studies, so the information is not so easily correlated to human consumption. Also, massive amounts of these sweeteners were fed to these animals (more than any person with diabetes would consume on a regular basis).

I would say if you had a choice between better blood sugar control using these sweeteners or not using them because of the "remote risks" associated with these, then use them. If you still have concerns, I would recommend that you try sucralose (Splenda), one of the newest sweeteners that is not artificial because it is made from table sugar but does not affect blood sugars.

[Editor's comment: See Sugar Substitutes at this website for further information. SS]