Question:

From West Grove, Pennsylvania, USA:

I just found out that my cousin has diabetes, and his mother along with five of his six siblings have had it for several years. All use insulin except one who uses oral medication. I suspect that many people with diabetes in one family is highly unusual. Is there any type of grant or research service for this type of thing?

Answer:

Your family history of what I take to be type 2 diabetes is certainly unusual, but not unknown and would not be likely to attract support on that ground alone. If any of them are disabled from the long term complications of diabetes they might be eligible for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) or Medicaid. They might also enquire through the nearest office of the American Diabetes Association as to whether they know of any regional clinical trials that they could participate in, but even here any material benefit is often balanced by the compliance demands of the trial.