From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, currently treated with pills, and in the course of a year, I have had to make several lifestyle changes, but I am still having a problem keeping my sugar down. My doctor wants to put me on insulin, but I want to wait a couple of months because I just started an exercise class, I am adjusting my diet, and I would like to see if taking the pills along with exercise and adjusting my diet will work. What is your opinion?

It is hard for me to say whether this is the correct thing to do. First, the degree to which your blood sugars are elevated would be an important point in the discussion. High sugars would be less likely to respond favorably. In addition, knowing your hemoglobin A1c would be helpful. If it is 2% higher than the norm, I would aggressively pursue the insulin therapy. Sometimes, as diabetes professionals, we are in the position of recommending insulin therapy when patients are not ready. In the end, it is a decision you and your physician need to discuss.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2