Question:

From Nampa, Idaho, USA:

My 79 year old father-in-law, who had a heart attack, was told he had diabetes and needed to go on an 1800 diabetic diet and lose weight or die. Can you help me find such a diet?

Answer:

I would recommend that you locate a dietitian who works with people with diabetes. The 1800 calorie diet prescription is probably appropriate, but the dietitian can individualize the meal plan according to your father-in-law's usual mealtimes and food preferences. If you have problems finding a dietitian, ask for a referral from your father-in-law's physician.

JMS