From Evanston, Illinois, USA:

Type 2 diabetes is common on both sides of my maternal and my paternal family, and my mother was recently diagnosed at age 50. I am a physically active 21 year old, I have been told I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, my weight is healthy, and I have no symptoms. Should I be tested for Type 2 diabetes? When and how often?

Your concern about testing is appropriate. The American Diabetes Association recommends testing in people without risk factors starting at age 45 but sooner for those with risk factors such as a family history and PCOS. There are no specific guidelines as what age to begin testing, but I would recommend an initial test now (along with cholesterol/lipid and blood pressure testing). If the results are all normal, I think testing each year would be prudent unless you develop other symptoms. Keeping active and keeping your weight normal will also help to reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes.