From Grants, New Mexico, USA:

I am 15 years old, I have type 1 diabetes, and I am and getting ready to get my driver's license. Are there any special requirements since I have type 1 diabetes?

A person with diabetes who is getting a driver's license may need to get some type of form completed by his/her health care provider saying that the person is receiving regular care and that the diabetes is appropriately controlled (without frequent low blood sugars as well). These laws vary from state to state. Contact your licensing bureau, and they will be able to tell you exactly what you need.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

It is not a requirement, but I would strongly suggest that you always measure your blood glucose before you start to drive and carry a fast-acting carbohydrate. If you drive and cause an accident due to a low blood glucose, you can easily lose your license. If your state has the provisional license as we do in my state (for 16-17 year olds), it is my understanding that you can not obtain a full license (allowing driving between 12 and 5 am) if you have had a low blood glucose and caused an accident during that provisional time.

Posted to Other Social Issues