Question:

From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, treated with insulin and Glucophage [metformin]. How can I lose weight, exercise, and still have the energy to be able to keep up with it? In people without diabetes, the more sugar that person eats the more energy it produces in his body. However in my situation, the less sugar I don't eat the less energy I have to exercise and to keep going. What is your advise around this situation?

Answer:

Losing weight gives back energy to do rather than just carry the weight. Fight forward.

[Editor's comment: I would suggest that you ask for referral to a registered dietitian who can devise an individualized meal plan that will provide enough energy and help you lose weight. A program such as Weight Watchers might work as well.

In addition, you might ask your doctor about a referral to an exercise specialist for some stress testing and instruction about an appropriate exercise program for you. SS]

DTQ-20020111095525B
Posted to Daily Care and Type 2