Question:

From Corpus Christi, Texas, USA:

I am a 42 year old female. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes almost two and a half years ago. Do blood sugar readings change during the menstrual cycle?

Answer:

The menstrual cycle does indeed change blood glucose readings. Over the course of a month, a woman will secrete differing levels of hormones which have an effect on both the body's sensitivity to insulin and the amount of glucose released by the liver. Since these hormones are sometimes times higher and sometimes lower, blood glucose values may change several times over the course of a month. The challenge is knowing when the hormone levels are changing and then initiating the necessary treatment plan changes.

SS

DTQ-20020110110126B