From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA:

At the time of diagnosis, my five year old son (then age 11 months) was flown to a children's hospital, and he says he remembers the helicopter ride. He explains in detail the loud sounds, people talking loudly, and the fact that my husband and I were not with him on the ride down (and of course that he was crying). Can this memory be possible four years later from when he was only 11 months old at the time?

I can't really address the issue of memory, but I don't know why he couldn't remember the helicopter ride. Despite his age, it was certainly a traumatic (and perhaps even exciting) event. Even at age 11-12 months, children are learning things and committing them to memory (faces, words, things, people). He may not have been able to articulate those things then, as speech patterns may be established, but once he was able to express, then he may be able to articulate his memory. I suppose he might also be parroting back things that he has heard from family and has incorporated them as his "own."