From Clinton, Connecticut, USA:

My 10 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for five years, uses an insulin pump, and is very independent in managing his diabetes. I have trouble finding baby sitters for after school care (or anytime!). At what point can a parent feel comfortable that a diabetic child could spend time alone and not worry every minute? What have others done to cope with this issue?

Whenever possible, I don't believe that anyone with type 1 diabetes should be left alone, especially a 10 year old, regardless of his self-care skills. I think the risk of a hypoglycemic episode is too great.

You might visit our Chat Rooms to discuss this with other parents.

Posted to Other Social Issues