Question:

From Parlin, New Jersey, USA:

I am a 41 year old male vegetarian who has have a healthy life style, exercises regularly and watches his diet, but I have a family history of diabetes. As of now, my blood random blood sugar is in the range 90-105 mg/dl [5-5.8 mmol/L]. Is it possible I will get diabetes?

Answer:

If your random blood glucose values are in the range you say, they are quite normal. I would say you are doing well, but with a family history, be sure to adhere to your doctor's recommendations about having your fasting blood glucose tested in a lab.

LSF

[Editor's comment: You indicated that you have two of the risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes: a positive family history, and you're entering middle age. To diminish the risk of developing diabetes, we encourage patients to do as you are: eat healthy and stay active. Also on the list: stay slim or lose weight if overweight; don't smoke, treat hypertension and/or elevated lipid levels if present, and keep an occasional watch on the blood glucose levels. WWQ]

DTQ-20010913223748A