Question:

From Corpus Christi, Texas, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes almost two and a half years ago, and I originally tried to control it with a diet and exercise. Six months later, I was put on Glucophage [metformin] which has been working well.

I did not monitor every day, I have monitored my morning blood sugars weekly monitoring for the last year and an half, and my readings have normally stayed within the range of 70-110 mg/dl [3.9-6.1 mmol/L]. On my last trip to my primary care physician, I had gained some weight so I went straight to our local health club and joined. I started working out on a daily basis, and my morning readings went up (117-134 mg/dl [6.5-7.4 mmol/L]) so I started monitoring twice a day. Now, no matter what time of the day, they are within the same range. Why is this happening? I thought exercise would help me.

Answer:

You are not to blame! Type 2 diabetes does this. It is a progressive disease, and you are seeing the progression. Take the glucose readings to the doctor because it may be time to change your medicine. Fight back with a visit to the doctor and get on the right medications.

DTQ-20020110110126A
Posted to Daily Care and Type 2