From Princeton, California, USA:

I recently went to Las Vegas with my family and I really wanted to go on a roller coaster. I decided on the one at New York, New York because it looked really cool, but before I got on a noticed a sign that said "Do not ride if you have any of the following conditions...diabetes..." I had already paid, and I really wanted to go so I went anyway. Why would it be bad for someone with diabetes to go on a roller coaster?

People with diabetes are at risk for developing microvascular complications due to hyperglycemia. Microvascular injuries such as retinopathy could result from the trauma that is experienced while riding a roller coaster.

A normal, healthy, teenage person with diabetes in good glycemic control would probably be at very low risk of such an injury. Make sure you get your yearly complication screenings, since their onset can be present without symptoms. Ask your doctor for more information.

[Editor's comment: Older people and those who have had diabetes a long time can also have high blood pressure which could be made worse by riding a roller coaster. There's no reason why you can't ride one, if your control is reasonable. SS]