From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA:

My five year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 11 months, has handled the shots and blood sugar tests very well, but recently, he has been asking why he has diabetes. He does not appear to be upset when he asks, only curious. What is the best explanation I can give a five year old? What books would be helpful? He does have two cousins (ages 13 and 30) who have it as well.

As for telling him, there are several suggestions. An easy way is to simply answer him honestly, to the best of your ability, in terms that he will understand. There are several booklets -- some from the pharmaceutical and blood testing industries, some from individual educators, and some that you can find on-line. Check out Books and Videos for Children and Teens on this site. Your son's diabetes team (or the folks at the children's hospital where he was diagnosed) should also be an excellent reference.