Question:

From Wellington, Kansas, USA:

I am 20 years old, have had diabetes for 12 years treated with 30 units of NPH, and I have not seen my doctor because of my money problems. However, I want to know how I can straighten out my insulin doses because I'm totally off and afraid of the effects of what might happen.

Answer:

It sounds like you are not really on the insulin regimen you are supposed to be on. I would suggest you speak with your physician, a social worker at the local hospital, or a hospital administrator in order to find care. For instance, there are programs through pharmaceutical companies where medications may be provided on the basis of need and financial situation. Your current situation is not adequate. You need to get help before you do further damage to your health.