Question:

From: Burnley, Lancashire, United Kingdom:

My middle-aged wife recently had a fasting blood sugar of 6.3 mmol/L [114 mg/dl], and the nurse said this is a warning, but it was not classed as diabetes unless it reached 7 mmol/L [126 mg/dl]. Does this mean with a correct diet and exercise, my wife can avoid ever developing diabetes?

Answer:

Two fasting blood glucose levels greater than 7 mmol/L [126 g/dl] are diagnostic of diabetes. Your wife's level, which is not normal, needs to be followed more closely. I would strongly suggest that she go on an exercise program and monitor her eating pattern so she can lose some weight [if she's overweight] and hopefully avoid diabetes since she is certainly at risk. The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) demonstrated that the onset of diabetes can be delayed or prevented through lifestyle changes. She does need your support in these changes, so I am very glad you wrote.

LSF

[Editor's comment: See the American Diabetes Association Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. According to these guidelines, you wife has what is called impaired glucose tolerance and so needs to implement some of the changes Lois suggested. She might benefit greatly from visit to your closest diabetes center to help develop a management plan. Contact the British Diabetes Association for location of the one closest to you. Of course, no one can be absolutely certain she will never develop diabetes. SS]