From Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada:

I am the chef/food service manager for a camp which will be hosting a session for children with diabetes. In order for us to provide adequate service to our guests, I was hoping that I may be able to obtain a sample menu that I could go over with the dietitians in preparation for the kids and staff.

I applaud your efforts on doing this in preparation for the camp being there. You really should be speaking with the dietitian representing the sponsoring organization. Contact the camp director and see how to reach him/her. I have found that each camp is somewhat different in the meal planning approach, but all provide an increase in calories because of the higher activity levels.

Additional comments from Tom Bartol, RNC, CDE:

It is great you are planning in advance for the dietary needs of your campers. Dietary needs will vary from one individual with diabetes to another, so I don't think one sample meal plan would be adequate for everyone. You might try to contact a dietitian that has worked with camps that host people with diabetes to see what they do in this situation.

[Editor's comment: I would start by showing the dietitian representing the sponsoring organization your usual camp menu. It will be important to include serving sizes and a breakdown of carb, protein, and fat content, if possible. You'll be very surprised to learn that it probably won't change too much, but, as Lois said, you will need to provide lots of extra snacks! SS]