Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I am a 57 year old female with a fatty liver, high cholesterol, and I was just diagnosed with high blood sugar. I am on a diet for the liver and cholesterol, and seem to be doing okay, but now my diet is changing again for the sugar. How can I incorporate soy products and other health foods into a diet for diabetes? How do I figure the portion sizes or substitutions?

Answer:

I applaud your efforts at working soy products into your meal planning since it has been shown to be a very heart healthy form of protein. In light of your recent diagnosis of diabetes and other preexisting conditions, I would recommend that you meet with a registered dietitian who works with people with diabetes. She/he can assist you with developing an individualized meal plan based on your health needs and personal likes. Meal planning for people with diabetes is personalized nowadays to ensure practicality and adherence. Good luck with your diabetes

JMS