Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

My dad has typeá1 diabetes, my boyfriend has typeá2 diabetes, and I recently gave birth to a little baby boy. So far he is eating properly and his weight is improving, but every other day he drinks more water than milk. Is that normal? How soon does he need to get a test for diabetes?

Answer:

My view is that you should do nothing unless your son shows clinical symptoms of diabetes. Given that there is currently no way of preventing diabetes, there is no justification for predictive testing outside of a formal scientific prevention trial. You should also be aware that the risk is low, around 6%.

Your son's 'preference' for water versus milk is obviously okay so long as he continues to gain weight and is independent of total volume of fluid he drinks in a day.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity