From West Salem, Ohio, USA:

My 11 year old daughter often has lows at school, sometimes as low as in the 20s mg/dl [1.1 mmol/L]. Which works faster in bringing the level back up to normal range, juice or glucose tablets?

We usually say glucose tablets are the best to use. However, I am more concerned that the lows need to be prevented since there may be times when she is lower and unable to even help herself. She should always have the tablets on hand (they are easier to carry with you than juice), but also needs to see her diabetes team about changes in insulin or food intake to prevent the lows. I do hope she also has identification on her indicating she has diabetes.

[Editor's comment: Also remember that the effect of any fast-acting sugar will only last about 30 minutes so initial treatment needs to be followed with a snack containing slowly-acting carb and protein. See hypoglycemia at this website for more information. SS]