Question:

From Lyndhurst, New Jersey, USA:

If I have to give glucagon, can I use an insulin syringe? I think it would be more comfortable because, to me, the syringe in the Glucagon Emergency Kit just seems so big, and, in an emergency, I think I would be afraid to use it.

Answer:

Certainly you can use an insulin syringe, but it may have to be a bigger one than usual. You can give the glucagon subcutaneously or intramuscularly, but remember that, once you have reconstituted the glucagon according to the instructions, a dose of 0.5 ml for an older child or teenager will now be 50 units on the 1 cc (100 unit) insulin syringe.

Posted to Other Medications