Question:

From the Philippines:

I am a psychologist working with people who have type 1 diabetes, and I am quite new in this field. I wish you could help me out with programs which will be for the benefit of my clients.

Answer:

I'm not sure I understand the question. What kind of programs are you looking for? If you're interested in attending a conference or two that can help you better understand diabetes, you may wish to either attend the American Diabetes Association conference in San Francisco June, 2002, or the American Association of Diabetes Educators conference which will be in Philadelphia in August, 2002. The International Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes meeting is usually in the fall in Europe and is also a great conference.

If you're interested in reading more about the psychosocial impact of diabetes, you may wish to get some of the books published in this area by the American Diabetes Association. If you look on their web site, you can get their catalogue of books on-line. The best one for professionals working with people with diabetes is: Practical Psychology for Diabetes Clinicians by B. Anderson and R. Rubin.

JWB

DTQ-ONCEMWWQ20020112