Question:

From Madison, Alabama, USA:

Why has the price of Humalog increased so steeply lately? It was around $27 a bottle when we first started using it, now it is over $50 a bottle. I checked the Eli Lilly site but could not find this issue addressed. I understand that prices increase over time, but this is an almost 100% increase.

Answer:

I just bought Humalog, and it was the same price. Did someone in the pharmacy goof? Maybe they were supposed to give two bottles and you only got one which happened to me once.

LSF

Additional comments from David Mendosa, A Writer on the Web:

Humalog has become increasingly popular since the FDA approved it in 1996. At that time its wholesale cost was about $24 per vial. A year ago its net wholesale cost was $34.81.

The manufacturer, Lilly, says that the price increase of Humalog was "to better align its clinical value with other diabetes agents (orals and insulins)." In addition, Lilly noted that the average daily cost of treating diabetes is in line with or below the cost of treating other chronic illnesses.

But perhaps pharmacies are jacking up their prices? Dr. Keith Campbell, associate dean and professor of pharmacy practice at Washington State University College of Pharmacy and a Certified Diabetes Educator who himself has type 1 diabetes, says no."Most pharmacies now charge general public about what they pay for the product," he says."Insulin is a loss leader. The markup on chronic disease drugs is pretty low."

A year ago you could buy a vial of Humalog for $30.95 from an on-line pharmacy. Now, however, it is $45.11. Campbell emphasizes that if insulin were developed today it would be much more expensive. He also notes that it is much less expensive than oral medications for diabetes.

Also, see Is The Cost of Insulin Skyrocketing?

DM

Posted to Insurance/Costs and Insulin Analogs