Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from February 2002

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes six weeks ago, and her school has been very responsive and concerned regarding her care. Initially, she was having hypoglycemic reactions daily during which she felt shaky. Now we are seeing shaky episodes in school during one particular subject only which is not related to hypoglycemia. In fact, her blood sugars have been high during these episodes. Can you explain why this occurs? (28 Feb 2002)

2. My 14 year old daughter, who has hypoglycemia, says that she has been getting dizzy, lightheaded and nauseous after sprinting. She tested her blood sugar today, and it was slightly high an hour after a bowl of frosted mini-wheats and about 20 minutes of running. We only look for low blood sugars. Should we be looking for highs too? (28 Feb 2002)

3. I have been unable to find what a gram of carbohydrate converts to as glucose by the body. Could you tell please me? (28 Feb 2002)

4. I have had type 1 diabetes for 19 years, and recently, when my sugar gets low, I don't feel the reaction until the blood sugar is very low. Even then, when I do feel the reaction, it is different from years past. My doctor says that the body sometimes becomes immune to reactions after many years of diabetes. Is this true? If so, is there anything to alleviate this? (28 Feb 2002)

5. I am severely overweight, I have type 2 diabetes treated with insulin, and I have been following a tough exercise routine for five months. I have notice that, for about one to two hours afterwards, I feel energized and up, but after that I am back to feeling sluggish even though my blood sugar is no higher than 130 mg. In addition, I also have not lost any weight, so I feel that I am just wasting my time on a false hope. Do you have any suggestions? (28 Feb 2002)

6. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago, and I take Lantus and Humalog insulin with carb counting. The problem is that even with very little added activity I become hypoglycemic. I do not like the way this makes me feel and it wears me out so I been have running my sugars higher to prevent this feeling. Am I doing myself great harm? Is this dangerous? (28 Feb 2002)

7. My daughter is using Lantus in the evening and Actrapid three times a day for meals because we cannot cover the long time span between breakfast and lunch, but I see that you recommend Humalog or Novolog. We're using this fast acting insulin just if we go to restaurants or if we have no time before lunch or dinner. Is it possible to use both Actrapid and Humalog/Novolog for premeal insulin? (28 Feb 2002)

8. I feel the best when my blood sugar is mildly elevated. If my blood sugar is normal, I become very tired and my vision is affected. One doctor stated it was because my body was not used to normal blood sugars. Why is it that I feel better with slightly elevated blood sugars? (28 Feb 2002)

9. I am a fifteen year old female, I have had diabetes for seven years, and I recently started following my prescribed diet, but now I have been getting terrible headaches. What can be causing them? (28 Feb 2002)

10. I have been aggressive in trying to control my four year old's blood sugars. I use Humalog for high carb low-fat meals, Regular for low-carb meals, a mix of Humalog and Regular for high fat, high carb meals, and diluted Humalog for correction doses. I think my doctors are happy with his control, but I had to tell them about mixing insulins. Do you think it could benefit patients to know this information? (28 Feb 2002)

11. For the past three months, my 14 year old daughter, diagnosed with diabetes six months ago, has been losing her vision for several minutes and her legs (front and back) and ankles have started hurting for no reason. On the back of her legs, she is starting to get huge knots. I am very concerned. What could this mean? What should I do? (28 Feb 2002)

12. I read on this site that if you mix Regular or Humalog together with NPH and don't give the shot soon after that the clear insulin will bond with the NPH and lose its ability to act quickly. How then do premixed insulins work so that this doesn't happen? (27 Feb 2002)

13. I heard that the weight-loss surgery can cure type 2 diabetes. Is that true? (27 Feb 2002)

14. My nine year old daughter has shown some signs of hypoglycemia since the age of four, and we can find no rhyme or reason for her episodes. Are these common signs of hypoglycemia, or should I be looking into something else? (27 Feb 2002)

15. A child in our preschool was hospitalized because he had been diagnosed previously with acetone hypoglycemia, and the parents had not told us of this condition prior to entering him in our school, and I really have no idea of what it is all about. Can you point me in some good directions to find out more about it as I do feel that I need as much information as possible? (27 Feb 2002)

16. Last weekend, my daughter woke up with a blood glucose of 86 mg/dl [4.8 mmol/L] and complained of a severe headache. Could she have had a severe low during the night? (27 Feb 2002)

17. My three year old son (diagnosed at age 15 months) was originally on NPH and Humalog and has since gone on Lantus and Humalog. He is given his Lantus shot in the morning instead of at bedtime due to severe lows. How exactly is a "fasting sugar" done? How are fasting sugars done when insulin is still in the body? (27 Feb 2002)

18. I am 43 years old, female, and I control my blood sugar levels with diet (avoiding most carbs and sugars), but my morning blood glucose reading is always around 120mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] whereas the rest of the days' readings are 80-100 mg/dl [4.4-5.6 mmol/L]. What causes this morning elevation in blood sugar? How can it be corrected? (27 Feb 2002)

19. My mother has diabetes, and she complains that her feet feel funny. (27 Feb 2002)

20. My 10 year old, who has had type 1 diabetes for a year and is on a pump, really wants to eat lunch with her friends in the lunch room, but we are having a hard time getting the school to serve a diabetic lunch. What are our rights in this State? (27 Feb 2002)

21. My seven year old son, diagnosed at age four, has good, but not tight, control on a two shot per day regimen. His highest A1c reading to date has been 7.2%. At what age does "tight" -- rather than just "good" -- control become imperative for children with diabetes? (27 Feb 2002)

22. I've had type 1 diabetes for 21 years, and I recently started taking Lantus. How safe is Lantus? Is it better than NPH? Does it have any side effects? (27 Feb 2002)

23. My 72 year old father, diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, is currently taking several different oral medications, but his A1c is 9.5%. Yesterday they went to their doctor who suggested my father should be satisfied with keeping his blood sugar around 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], and told him he was in great shape. Is it unrealistic for my father to aim for an A1c under 7.0%? (27 Feb 2002)

24. My son currently takes Mixtard insulin before breakfast, NovoRapid before his evening meal and Insulatard at bedtime. Using three different insulins means we live in fear of injecting the wrong one by mistake which indeed did happen. Could I change the morning Mixtard to a mixture of NovoRapid and Insulatard in a syringe? (26 Feb 2002)

25. I have type 2 diabetes, and I was started on mixed insulin twice daily after a DKA episode. I have found that with a little carb control I need 46 units twice a day to get my blood glucoses within recommended range, but I am finding this hard to keep to. (26 Feb 2002)

26. My nine year old son just began pumping, and his educator told us to use his fingertips rather than his forearm to get more accurate blood sugar readings. We checked the difference, and his forearm was 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] when his fingertip was 133 mg/dl [7.4 mmol/L]. Which reading is the accurate one? (26 Feb 2002)

27. My 31 year old husband has type 1 diabetes and a thyroid disorder, his mother and his sister have thyroid disorders, and my 23 year old sister was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease. We are planning to start a family, and I have been told the risk of his passing diabetes on to a child is roughly 6%, but does the risk of our children developing the other diseases increase? (26 Feb 2002)

28. In our family, there is a 14 year old who has had type 1 diabetes for the last three years and is on Actrapid at breakfast and lunch with Mixtard before dinner. However, being a child, it sometimes becomes difficult to restrain him from eating fast foods like pizza, burgers, etc. He is taking the required medicines as prescribed, but due to intake of fast foods, the sugar level keeps on increasing. (26 Feb 2002)

29. My nine year old daughter who is on Humalog, Regular and NPH in the morning and at dinner, wants to spend the night with friends. I'm concerned that she will be low if she stays up much later than she is used to which I know she will do. Should I reduce her insulin or increase her food intake? (26 Feb 2002)

30. My 12 year old daughter showed high levels of blood acetone in the emergency room, and I was told it could be either of two things -- she was using inhalants of some kind, or she could have diabetes. I believe her when she tells me she didn't use anything, and we have a family history of diabetes on both sides of our family. Is this true about acetone? (26 Feb 2002)

31. I was diagnosed two weeks ago. I have been placed on Glucovance and made major changes in my diet resulting in easily keeping my glucose in control. I would like to know why people with diabetes can't use medications to control their blood glucose levels with the minimal necessary changes to diet. If I can keep my blood glucose level normal, isn't that the point, regardless of what sugars I eat? (26 Feb 2002)

32. I'm currently completing a residency in ophthalmology, and I have met a lot of people who have diabetes during my years of training. I think that, if you can maintain a mean blood sugar level near normal over your entire life with diabetes since the time the diagnosis was made, you will not experience any complications and you will live a normal long life. (26 Feb 2002)

33. I am a first grade teacher of a child with diabetes who is experiencing many academic difficulties, and although I have tried everything I can think of to do to help him be successful, it is not enough. Is there a website, publication, or any kind of support/help group for teachers of children with diabetes? (26 Feb 2002)

34. My 15 year old niece was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two days ago, and her doctor was going to discharge her today until we said we didn't feel comfortable yet. At what point in a child's care do you think it is appropriate to send them home after initial diagnosis? (26 Feb 2002)

35. I am currently assisting a mom of a one month old who has hyperglycemia, I have never worked with a child this young, and I have many questions. (25 Feb 2002)

36. I am 21 years old, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 16, my 25 year old fiance also has type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at the age of 2, and we are both in semi-tight control. About three months ago, I found out that I was a month pregnant, but after over a month and a half of strict control and two and a half months of pregnancy, I lost the baby. I have several questions. (25 Feb 2002)

37. My 14 year old daughter is on an insulin pump. Under our new insurance plan, we can only see doctors on a list, and the insurance does not pay for diabetes nurse educators or dietitians. Are there any Federal laws that cover the type of plan we are under? (25 Feb 2002)

38. I have type 1 diabetes, I am always tired, and I have had low magnesium levels over a period of time for which my physician has prescribed supplements off and on. Is there a relationship between low magnesium levels and type 1 diabetes? What causes this? How does this low level affect me? (25 Feb 2002)

39. I've been sick for about a week and have noticed that my blood sugar has been really high. Is this because I've been sick, laying around a lot, sleeping, or something else? (25 Feb 2002)

40. My 10 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 11 months ago, is having many episodes of high blood sugar, especially at school. I have talked to the nurse about my concern that when he has high blood sugar he may not feel well enough to return to class right away. Is this a common problem? (25 Feb 2002)

41. I work with a 14 year old girl with brittle type 1 diabetes. She has found innovative ways to manipulate her meter to misread her level, which then effects the amount of insulin she receives. Other teenage issues are arising, and the parent is having a lot of difficulty seeing any positive traits while the child continues to manipulate and lie about sneaking. I don't know if I'm seeking some advice to help the parent or asking for some encouraging words, but both would help. (25 Feb 2002)

42. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four months ago, and my C-peptide was less than 0.2 (undetectable) at diagnosis. Will this ever change? (25 Feb 2002)

43. I have occasionally forgotten to take my Lantus and have noticed that my fasting sugar is elevated and will not come down or go much higher without food during the day. Is this because I am still producing some insulin? Does the body have a way of getting rid of excess blood sugar without insulin? (25 Feb 2002)

44. There is an adult who has diabetes, is on medication, and has mood swings. Does a person with diabetes suffer from mood swings? (25 Feb 2002)

45. I have type 2 diabetes, and, at eight months of age, we had a a tolerance curve done on our now one year old son. He wasn't able to absorb the injected glucose in the established time so we want to know how high his risk of developing diabetes is. (25 Feb 2002)

46. My 10 year old daughter has all the signs of puberty except the cycle, and she is now experiencing lose of appetite along with increased in sugar levels which in turn means an increase in insulin. Is this normal? What should we expect? (24 Feb 2002)

47. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 16 and my 25 year old fiance also has type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at the age of two. Is the chance that when and if we do have a child that the child will be born with or develop diabetes also? (24 Feb 2002)

48. What are the effects of accidentally injecting insulin into muscle? (24 Feb 2002)

49. My son, who has type 1 diabetes and Down's Syndrome, and is on Lantus with Novolog, but he cannot do his own shot. For now, I am not working so I can go to his school at lunchtime, but I may not always be able to do so. There is just one nurse for all the schools in this county. What is usually done when there is not a nurse to do this? Should the nurse be expected to be at his school at noon every day? (24 Feb 2002)

50. I have had type 1 diabetes for about 17 years, and about six years ago, I was diagnosed with peripheral and autonomic neuropathy. For the past month, I have been taking metformin since my body is rejecting the insulin, but still my blood sugars are running extremely high. The pain I am suffering is unbearable, even though I am taking three pain medications. Is there any other treatment available for my condition? (24 Feb 2002)

51. My 15 year old daughter, diagnosed with type1 diabetes at age 14 months, has been hospitalized three times for DKA in the last two months, and the doctors can't figure why she is going into acidosis so quickly. During the he last admission, they mentioned that hormones could possibly cause this and did some hormone levels on her. Do you feel that DKA could be caused by hormones? (24 Feb 2002)

52. My 15 year old son, diagnosed type 1 diabetes a little over two years ago has a C-peptide value of 0.5. What does this signify? (24 Feb 2002)

53. The price of the Precision Xtra ketone test strips make it too expensive to use, and I've heard they are difficult to get. Are there any glucose meters, other than Precision Xtra, that test for ketones? (24 Feb 2002)

54. I am 14 weeks pregnant with my third child, and I have had several symptoms of hypoglycemia but only recently connected them. Could I be tested for hypoglycemia without putting the baby in any harm? (24 Feb 2002)

55. What are the advantages of the different forms of home management testing (Whole blood versus plasma testing for glucose and urine versus blood for ketones)? (24 Feb 2002)

56. I had gestational diabetes five years ago, and within a year after my child was born I still had fluctuating blood sugars (40-280 mg/dl [2.2-15.6 mmol/L]), and I had symptoms of both type 1 and 2 diabetes. I went to a well-known clinic where they said I was borderline and just told me to go on this diet and monitor my sugar levels, but recently I've had fasting blood sugars of 166 mg/dl [9.2 mmol/L] and 226 mg/dl [12.6 mmol/L]. Do you think I should consult another physician or just try to control it with a diet? (24 Feb 2002)

57. My 10 year old daughter appears to still have trouble accepting that diabetes is a reality in her life. My husband and I feel as though we constantly admonish her which upsets all of us. I would be very grateful for any advice you may be able to give. (24 Feb 2002)

58. I am an elementary school counselor, and recently a nine year old fourth grade student has been referred to me for counseling because she is experiencing anger over diabetes diagnosis a year ago. What are some of the emotional concerns related to her illness that I may need to address with her in our individual sessions? (23 Feb 2002)

59. I am 19 years old, I take Viokase for pancreatic insufficiency, and, while I don't think I have diabetes, my doctor and my family do. I have had a few non-fasting tests that were elevated. I have Hashimoto's, and my doctor thinks my high blood sugar is related somehow. Do I really have to worry about diabetes? (23 Feb 2002)

60. Recently, when my 15 year old daughter was hospitalized with pneumonia, she received steroids and her blood sugar level increased which has never happened before. Should I be conscious of her blood sugar level from now on? Was this just a incident that will not happen again unless she is put on steroids? (23 Feb 2002)

61. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and started my new food regimen about three weeks ago. I have lost five pounds since starting the new diet, and I am concerned that I shouldn't be losing weight. I'm also concerned about the size of the baby. Do I need to worry about my weight loss during this period of gestational diabetes? (23 Feb 2002)

62. My 15 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over two years ago, is taking Mixtard twice daily and his A1c is varying (8.3 to 11.6%). His fasting sugar is generally okay, but his evening is generally high. Do you recommend a change of insulin? (23 Feb 2002)

63. My 48 year old husband, who has had type 2 diabetes for a year and half, has done well. However, for the last week it seems his sugar is flip-flopping. What could be going wrong? (23 Feb 2002)

64. My eight year old son, diagnosed about six months ago with type 1 diabetes, continues to grow in height, but he has lost seven pounds since then. He is currently in his honeymoon, his A1c is 5.7%, and his thyroid tests are normal. Any ideas as to what may be the cause? (23 Feb 2002)

65. I am a 17 year old male with type 1 diabetes and my school district has put a very strict attendance policy in to place that limits absences to five per trimester, but my diabetes causes me to miss more than this by quite a few. This causes problems with my school credits and may become a legal issue if it is not resolved. Do you have and input or advice? (23 Feb 2002)

66. I developed a spot on my lower right leg (between calf and ankle). My doctor sent me to the university where they diagnosed lipodermatosclerosis. When I asked the doctor at the university if this came from diabetes, he said that it did not and that there was no cure for this, but, while my family doctor agrees with the therapy, he says the disease comes from diabetes. Which doctor is right? Is there anything else that can be done? (23 Feb 2002)

67. I am a 38 year old nurse who has had type 1 diabetes for 18 years, and lately I have noticed symptoms of depression. Is it common for people with diabetes to develop depression? Why? I would like to know which direction to turn for the appropriate help. (23 Feb 2002)

68. My 10 year old son diagnosed a year ago with type 1 diabetes, was able to give himself shots after the first month, but after he gives himself shots, his sugars are usually high at the next reading. He has a problem with letting us watch him and starts crying. What is the best way to deal with this? (22 Feb 2002)

69. Our son has had trouble with lows at night and waking up high. We have heard of 'glargine' the new long lasting insulin, and we wonder how this insulin is working for young boys. How is it best used? How does it give sustained release with no peaks? How hard is it to get used to using in conjunction with Humalog at meals? (22 Feb 2002)

70. I am 20 weeks pregnant with my second child, and I had gestational diabetes with my first. How much damage am I doing to my body and, more importantly to my baby's health by having a high blood sugar my nightly? (22 Feb 2002)

71. Is there any way I can download the data from my One Touch Ultra to a MacIntosh computer? (22 Feb 2002)

72. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yesterday, and my doctor wants me to take two fasting readings on my home meter every day. He said he will use these readings, as well as another round of lab checks to determine if I will need medication. The morning fasting is easy, but when during the day is considered fasting? Before I eat my evening meal, or before bed? (22 Feb 2002)

73. I went to see a doctor in another town who diagnosed type 2 diabetes yesterday. My A1c is 7.2%, and I had a random glucose of 198 mg/dl [11 mmol/L]. My past test had shown a fasting (lab) glucose of 157 mg/dl [8.7 mmol/L], and a two-hour reading on a GTT of 208 mg/dl [11.6 mmol/L], but my previous doctor said that since my A1c at that time, was 6.2%, I did not have diabetes. This new doctor said you shouldn't use the A1c as a way to diagnose diabetes. (22 Feb 2002)

74. I have type 1 diabetes, and my doctor recently prescribed metformin for my insulin resistance. It works great however, the side effects such as heartburn and bloating are bothersome. Have there been any studies done on the effects of metformin and Avandia in type 1 diabetes (22 Feb 2002)

75. I have had type 1 diabetes for 13 years, and while I have never worried about complications every day, since my son has been diagnosed, I worry about them all the time. Have there been any more studies just looking at the actual complication rates for type 1 individuals with tight control? I do not think it fare to lump people with controlled diabetes and people with uncontrolled diabetes" together to get the percentages for complications. (22 Feb 2002)

76. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I've been controlling it with pills. I've asked my doctor what would what would be my risk if I got pregnant, and she tells me it's kind of impossible or I am risking it. Do you think I could get pregnant and be able to control it and not take shots of insulin? (22 Feb 2002)

77. My four year old daughter's recent readings have been very high. Should I be concerned about these high readings? Does the lack of ketones reduce the risks of letting her run high? (22 Feb 2002)

78. I am a 17 year old male with type 1 diabetes who plays high school football and is very athletic. My most troubling problem is that I have always wanted to be in the military, but people with diabetes are not allowed to be in the military. I write and talk to military personnel quite often, and they all say the same thing. People tell me that this is a strong case of discrimination. Is there any information or advice you can give me on this issue? (22 Feb 2002)

79. My 11 year old son, diagnosed with diabetes when he was almost four years of age, receives 4-16 shots per day because his blood sugars are very uncontrollable. He gets three IV's a week, two at home and one in the hospital. He has a nurse every night, and last year, he spent over 1/2 of his school year at home or in the hospital. Is there anything that can be done? (22 Feb 2002)

80. My seven year old daughter has diabetes, and her school would not cooperate with me so they threw her out of school and said to take her elsewhere, but I made enough contacts to get her back in. I contacted the civil rights organization and started an investigation. The school superintendent didn't like it that I got them involved, and, in retaliation, called children's services for what they call "medical neglect ". (21 Feb 2002)

81. My girlfriend often will state her toes are so cold that they feel numb even in room temperatures. Are her cold extremities related to her diabetes? (21 Feb 2002)

82. My 12 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost a year ago, is very active in sports, and I would like advice on how to keep her doing well during sports so she can keep active. Does anyone have any "helpful hints" for maintaining glucose levels during strenuous activity? (21 Feb 2002)

83. My daughter, who uses a pen system with the short needles had a needle break off in her stomach last month, and they cut her open twice to try to find it. They couldn't find it, so they ended up just leaving it in. This incident really concerns me, and my daughter is now scared to death that it will happen again. Have you ever heard of a needle breaking off? Is this rare? (21 Feb 2002)

84. My nine year old son has type 1 diabetes. Our problem is that lately his grades are dropping, and his teacher and I became concerned. I contacted his diabetes educator who gave us a referral to a psychologist. Is this common practice? (21 Feb 2002)

85. My 16 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 10, is developing white spots on his forearms and there appears to be a loss of pigmentation. I seem to remember a connection to diabetes, but I cannot find any information now. Is this related? (21 Feb 2002)

86. Considering the desperation for water and excessive urinating, I wondered if I have been wrongly diagnosed and if a form of diabetes has not been spotted by my doctor's tests. (21 Feb 2002)

87. What would cause a sudden sustained low blood sugar in spite of the cessation of medication after one week in a 71 year old male who has had type 2 diabetes for 15 years? (21 Feb 2002)

88. My 12 year old daughter, who has had diabetes for two years, has developed large indentations (which appear to be getting bigger) on the outer thighs on both legs. She doesn't inject near these areas at all, and I wondered what would be causing that. Could she be having a reaction to Insulatard? (21 Feb 2002)

89. My son had a fingerstick A1c of 8.2%, and I took a venous sample to the hospital lab where a "glycosylated hemoglobin" was 6.8%. Two months later, his fingerstick A1c was 8.1% and the venous glycosylated hemoglobin was 6.7%. Why would there be such a large discrepancy in these results? (21 Feb 2002)

90. My 13 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years ago, has had a very difficult time with the whole process, both physically and emotionally. She has been depressed throughout the process and is refusing to continue therapy. Along with my concerns over her emotional state, we have not been able to keep her blood glucose levels in a healthy range. (20 Feb 2002)

91. My seven year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about four months ago, and a nurse educator or a dietitian ( I'm not sure which one) said that if he ever wanted an extra treat or something to just let him have it and correct later, meaning to give him extra insulin to bring him down. Do you think this is okay to do once in a while or never? (20 Feb 2002)

92. I am 13 years old, I was told I have diabetes about four months ago, and no one in my family has diabetes but they do have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). My cousin asked me to check her blood sugar, and the meter read, "HI". Three hours later, it said the same thing, and this has happened with everyone in my family. Could they have diabetes? (20 Feb 2002)

93. I take metformin and have sticky stools. When I was off the metformin, the stool was okay and normal wiping was sufficient so I know it is the metformin. Is there another medication to use besides that? (20 Feb 2002)

94. My five year old daughter periodically becomes very defiant, and my husband and I can sense it developing even though it comes on very quickly. This mood is typically accompanied by uncontrollable giggling and stumbling. Could this be hypoglycemia or just normal mood swings in a child? (20 Feb 2002)

95. My son has Medicaid right now, and I am trying to purchase health insurance for him, but a lot of insurance brokers do not want to help when they find out he has diabetes. Is there any health insurance that you know that will insure someone with diabetes? Why is so hard to get health insurance for a person with diabetes? (20 Feb 2002)

96. My new doctor wants to put me on a cholesterol lowering agent as a preventative measure. Have any studies been done on the effectiveness of this as a long term preventative measure? Are there any side effects of this type of drug, especially long term? Does a drug like this one interact adversely with ACE inhibitor drugs? Would a cholesterol lowering diet be a better option? (20 Feb 2002)

97. I am assisting a local school board in developing guidelines regarding kids with diabetes in school. This document will be used by school personnel. Their main concern, of course, is hypoglycemia treatment. Two questions in this regard. (20 Feb 2002)

98. My 10 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six months ago, and since then I have see a significant amount of gray hair show up on him. Is there are direct correlation between diabetes and premature gray hair? (20 Feb 2002)

99. I am a physical therapist, I will soon be completing my MBA/MHA, I have had type 1 diabetes since I was nine, and I would love to find a way to use my health background and my experiences with diabetes in my new career. Any suggestions? (20 Feb 2002)

100. I was just wondering if there was any information that you can give me about diabetic ketoacidosis. I am really interested in finding out what it really is and how I may prevent it early. (19 Feb 2002)

101. What will be the effect on blood glucose if I keep a teaspoonful of sugar in my mouth for sometime and then spit it out (not swallowing at all)? (19 Feb 2002)

102. Why is my fasting blood sugar always higher than other tests during the day? (19 Feb 2002)

103. My four year old niece (who has type 1 diabetes) has a babysitter who resides in another town, just over her school district's town line, and the school has told my sister that they will no longer drop my niece off at this house. Is there anything in the law that protects my niece? (19 Feb 2002)

104. My four year old son has recently developed what appear to be boils filled with pus on the back lower region of his leg, below the knee. An employee at his daycare mentioned that her niece had similar boils and was told they were related to the blood sugar level, similar to diabetes. I was wondering if the boils could be related to diabetes, or another blood sugar disorder. (19 Feb 2002)

105. My 15 year old daughter weighs 208 pounds and was placed on a 1800 calorie diet, but I have no menus to go by and no idea how to plan meals for her. My daughter does not have diabetes, but, if she continues with the weight, she may very well be. (19 Feb 2002)

106. I have type 1 diabetes, and I believe my three year old daughter also has it. They say it will be six weeks before I can get the results. However, she has way too many sugars that are over 125 mg/dl [6.9 mmol/L]. I want to get her on her diet. (19 Feb 2002)

107. I took my 10 year old son (who is overweight and has symptoms of diabetes) to the doctor for his yearly physical and also said I wanted him tested for diabetes, but that doctor said at since his urine test looked fine, he didn't want to test my son. Should I take him back and insist that he be tested for type 2 diabetes or not? (19 Feb 2002)

108. Our 11 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for about three years, and, in very short time, we intend to move to Canada. In Germany, our son gets full support from our sickness insurance fund for his diabetes supplies? Will he get a support similar to Germany? What do we have to take into consideration? (19 Feb 2002)

109. My daughter had a five-hour GTT, and her pediatrician said her results were "extremely abnormal", but I feel like I should have gotten much more information. I have asked her pediatrician for reasons, and more information, but he's said he wants to do more tests first. What Is hypoglycemia? How do I find out if she has diabetes as well? Why are they testing her growth hormone, thyroid, and hemoglobin? (19 Feb 2002)

110. My 82 year old mom, who has had has diabetes for a little over two years and takes insulin, is visiting us from Guatemala. I've noticed that her sugar levels are high. What can I do to lower them down? Since she is in a wheelchair, so she cannot do too much exercise. Is there a way to check if her diet or the amount of insulin are the right ones? (19 Feb 2002)

111. Since I have been diagnosed, endocrinologists and dietitians have been telling me not to cover protein (e.g. meat) in meals. I always felt this was wrong because I could see that it affected my blood sugar. I recently read that about 60% of the protein in a piece of meat becomes converted to glucose in your body. So please help me understand exactly how much insulin one should take to account for the protein in a meal. Why is there so much confusion on this point? (19 Feb 2002)

112. I am an aide for a child on an insulin pump who has been having lows at night before he goes to bed. She has treated these with apple juice, but he still wakes up in the morning with high blood sugars. She has even tried to treat them with half of the apple juice to try to control numbers in the morning. What can she do to fix this problem? (18 Feb 2002)

113. I was on tablets for some 20 years before I started taking insulin two years ago. Now, I inject 200 units each day, and I am very concerned about what I think is the high insulin amounts needed to keep my blood sugar within range. I have gained much weight (60 pounds to be exact) since I started insulin injections. I would appreciate a second opinion on my weight and high insulin intake. (18 Feb 2002)

114. I have had diabetes for about 14 years, and for insurance reasons, I had to switch doctors this month. I've only seen my new doctor once, and I'm not confident he has enough training in type 1 diabetes. He recently ordered some lab work, and I am unsure of what the results mean. (18 Feb 2002)

115. During two urinary tract infections, I had glucose in my urine, but my blood glucose and A1c are normal. Do I need to be concerned? Should I have a two-hour glucose tolerance test done? (18 Feb 2002)

116. How can my six year old son, who only takes 2 units of Lente in the morning, wake up 24 hours later with a blood sugar of 61 mg/dl [3.4 mmol/L]? (18 Feb 2002)

117. I am the mother of a newly-diagnosed seven year old girl. Her blood sugar needs to be checked four times daily, followed by insulin injections. I can do this while I am at home, but there is a problem during school hours. I work during the day, and she is picked up after school by a retired couple who cannot do an injection. What I can do? (18 Feb 2002)

118. My three year old daughter, diagnosed two and a half months ago, is in her honeymoon stage. When she eats her bedtime snack, is it important that she go right to bed afterward, if she doesn't get too active? (18 Feb 2002)

119. I have noticed symptoms in a friend's son. On my advice, the mother purchased a "cheap" meter to test him at home, and his fasting blood glucose is within normal range, but when he eats, his blood glucose shoots up. The boy's doctor feels these are perfectly normal readings and refuses to do an oral GTT or GAD antibody test, but did do an A1c which was 4.6%. Is it normal for a teenager to swing so rapidly and broadly? (18 Feb 2002)

120. We have a first grader who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about one year ago now attending our school. I realize that it is hard to regulate a young child's blood sugar level, but is it all right to feed Fruit Loops, Hi C, ice cream, bologna sandwiches with mayo, chips, fruit roll ups, etc. to a child with diabetes? (18 Feb 2002)

121. I see a lot of sugarfree items with sugar alcohol. Can you please tell me what it is? Is it safe for people with diabetes? (18 Feb 2002)

122. I have a 71 year old male patient who was told that he had an elevated A1c and that he should monitor his blood glucose levels at home. In three weeks time, his level has yet to exceed 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] (even after meals). Are you currently aware of any specific factors that might result in a false positive A1c test? (18 Feb 2002)

123. Although it has been almost a year since my four year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I am really confused about a lot of things. How will I know when she is coming out of her honeymoon stage? (17 Feb 2002)

124. The prescription sticker on my three year old daughter's glucagon kit says to give her 1 mg (all) if needed. Isn't that too much? (17 Feb 2002)

125. My son had two MMR vaccinations just before his diagnosis. Now he has type 1 diabetes. (17 Feb 2002)

126. My eight year old son has type 1 diabetes. What are some good snack options that will not increase his blood sugars? What are some good options to help during hypoglycemia? (17 Feb 2002)

127. My sister's husband just passed away suddenly, and yesterday when she checked her blood sugar, her monitor read "High". Is it possible that her blood sugar level could be that high? I am worried about how the loss and stress will affect her since she also has heart trouble. (17 Feb 2002)

128. I am a nurse at a day care center which has three children with diabetes, and I am looking for a list of foods which contain no carbohydrates, if there is such a list. (17 Feb 2002)

129. My seven year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and in tight control, may need his tonsils out, and I am wondering what the complications of anesthesia are, if any, for child with diabetes. What about giving insulin, and eating? What should I be aware of? (17 Feb 2002)

130. My ketones are very high and while I have been adjusting my insulin, I would like to lessen the bloated and lethargic feeling I have now. Until I can see a doctor, what are some things I can do to lower, or process out some of the ketones? (17 Feb 2002)

131. My eight year old son, who is on an insulin pump, has maintained overall great control. However, even though his after breakfast blood sugars are in target range most of the time, he has always run higher pre-lunch at school than at home on a fairly consistent basis. How much can stress/excitement increase blood sugars? (17 Feb 2002)

132. My husband and son are both have type 1 diabetes and have their A1cs done every three months, but I would like a more extensive test done. Is there any test they can do to check the pancreas? (17 Feb 2002)

133. My seven year old son's A1c was 10.4% when he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three moths ago, since then his A1c was 9.4% and his last was 9.2%. I'm just worried that his last A1c didn't go much lower. Is that okay? (17 Feb 2002)

134. My daughter's blood sugar readings are pretty good during the day with Humalog, but she takes NPH at night, and it doesn't seem to work. Her readings are high from 11:00pm to 6:00 am, even though her doctor keeps increasing the dose (from 10 to 22 units now). What would you recommend in a case like this? (17 Feb 2002)

135. My 20 month son was 16 months old when diagnosed, and he receives six shots a day (Humalog, NPH, and Ultralente). He goes to an endocrinologist, and I want to know what the difference in treatment is compared to a pediatric endocrinologist. (16 Feb 2002)

136. My daughter's school is demanding I give them access to her medical records. I believe that students with diabetes they have a right to keep their medical records private from anybody including the school. (16 Feb 2002)

137. Our son is due in a couple of months, and we were wondering if the potential benefits for umbilical cord blood banking outweigh the significant cost. What is your opinion on umbilical cord blood banking? (16 Feb 2002)

138. My 20 month old son was 16 months old when he was diagnosed. How will immunizations affect his blood sugars? (16 Feb 2002)

139. Since I stopped taking insulin, whenever I am sitting with my feet not touching anything I get this throbbing pain in my heels and my feet get extremely red! What is wrong with my feet -- is it diabetes-related? Is it because I stopped taking insulin? (16 Feb 2002)

140. Is Lantus safe to use in pregnancy? It seems the benefits of stable blood glucose levels may outweigh the risks associated with using it. Is it category C only because it is such a difficult thing to get something approved for pregnancy? Are there any real data to show there is a risk, or just lack of data? (16 Feb 2002)

141. I am a 27 year old woman just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I take Glucophage. The problem is that throughout the day I feel sick to my stomach and I have a headache all the time. I feel like I'm about to vomit all the time. The mere smell of food makes me sick. What can I do to get pass the sick feelings? (16 Feb 2002)

142. Two years ago, during my last pregnancy, I had gestational diabetes treated with insulin, I am currently seven weeks pregnant, and my blood sugars are already running high. I'm having trouble finding research that mentions how high they can get before worrying about birth defects, miscarriage, etc. during the first trimester. (16 Feb 2002)

143. What do most parents do for insulin at school? (16 Feb 2002)

144. I'm 28 years old, and my control was really bad until two years ago when I decided to get pregnant. I've been planning my pregnancy since then, but unfortunately some secondary complications of diabetes are now being diagnosed. I know these problems get worse during pregnancy, and I would like an honest opinion regarding my situation. (16 Feb 2002)

145. I am 12 years old, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago, and I was taking Humalog with NPH up until five or six days ago. However, since my blood sugars were are getting outrageously low even when I ate whatever I want (including a sugar cupcake) so now I am not taking insulin. (15 Feb 2002)

146. My four year old, who has had type 1 diabetes for a year and a half, was just recently also diagnosed with celiac disease. While there is quite a bit of information on each topic individually, I cannot seem to locate much on the topic that helps people who have both conditions. Any ideas where this information may exist? (15 Feb 2002)

147. I have type 2 diabetes, and my doctor said that if I become pregnant that I would need to start taking insulin, but after that the baby is born that 95% of women go back on the pills to control blood sugar. I am on pills now, and I would not want to stay on insulin. (15 Feb 2002)

148. I have had right sided abdominal pain under the rib cage for a few months. I had my gall bladder removed three years ago, and the pain is pretty much right under the scar so I'm wondering if it's possible that this is possibly causing the pain. (15 Feb 2002)

149. My 12 year old son, who weighs 23 kilograms (50.6 pounds) has had diabetes for seven years, is at present taking 5 units of Monotard with 5 units of Actrapid in the morning and 3 units of Monotard with 3 units of Actrapid at night, but we are not feeling good with this dose. Please give us some guidance for food, medicine, and a plan for a smooth life. (15 Feb 2002)

150. I am 18 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Eventually, I got through the adjustment, but now my little sisters (ages 17 and 13) were diagnosed with it. In what way can I help my sisters without me actually being there to tell them that it's okay? (15 Feb 2002)

151. I have type 1 diabetes, and I am actively trying to become pregnant. For the past several days, my blood sugar levels have been erratic. This is very unusual for me as I have kept my post-meal blood sugars around 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]for the past year. Do you think that this could be an early sign of pregnancy? (15 Feb 2002)

152. I am 22 years old and wonder why it is that I seem to have more stable blood sugars taking two shots a day of Lente and Regular at breakfast and dinner, than two shots a day of Lente and Humalog at breakfast and dinner with two extra shots of Humalog at lunch and bedtime. (15 Feb 2002)

153. I am a 54 year old female who has diabetes. My last A1c was about 10%, and I am most interested in getting this down to normal. I would like to know what kinds of foods to eat that will lower my blood sugar and my A1c test. I must note that if I eat too many carbs my sugar is higher. (15 Feb 2002)

154. I am planning a pregnancy and I have been on Humalog, and two of my doctors say that I must switch from Humalog to any Regular insulin since Humalog wasn't tested on pregnant women and could cause birth defects. Two of my other doctors say that Humalog is suitable for pregnancy so I can not decide who is right. What do you think about glargine and pregnancy? (15 Feb 2002)

155. My 16 year old niece, who has type 1 diabetes and lives in New Jersey, has had stomach pains for a year and her sugar cannot be controlled. She is now in the local hospital. We need to find a hospital that specializes in teens with diabetes. (15 Feb 2002)

156. My 12 year son had an A1C score of 8%. What is an ideal A1c score for a child with type 1 diabetes? (13 Feb 2002)

157. A 17 year old female sustained a head injury last summer, then problems began to surface during the fall which led to her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes, but she has no family history of diabetes. Could there be a connection between the head injury and the diagnosis? (13 Feb 2002)

158. My son was pulled over for a traffic violation and asked to take a breathalyzer test which was negative. However, he was still required to go to the hospital for a blood alcohol level, which was positive. If someone with type 1 diabetes is ketoacidotic, will that have an effect on a blood alcohol test? (13 Feb 2002)

159. Twice within the last six months, my partner has fought my help during a low and has become physical. He swears to having no recollection of these times afterwards. Have you heard of reactions of this sort, or am I in trouble? (13 Feb 2002)

160. While my son does not have diabetes, his genetic disorder produces the same end result as hypoglycemia, and I read with interest the article on the uncooked cornstarch bars. Are such bars available to be purchased in my area? They would be helpful in keeping his sugar levels stable. (13 Feb 2002)

161. My 11 year old son had a seizure while taking his morning shower. I immediately checked his blood sugar, while he was still seizing, and it was 75 mg/dl [4.2 mmol/L] so I did not administer glucagon. Could this have been a hypoglycemic seizure? (13 Feb 2002)

162. I am a 57 year old female diagnosed with type 2 diabetes seven years ago which is treated with pills, and I am monitoring my glucose three to four times a day. Is there a way for me to get an average of my glucose levels without waiting for doctor visits? (13 Feb 2002)

163. My 15 year old niece was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two days ago, and her doctor was going to discharge her today until we said we didn't feel comfortable yet. At what point in a child's care do you think it is appropriate to send them home after initial diagnosis? (13 Feb 2002)

164. My 13 year old son was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three months ago, but I've been doing some reading, and I'm worried that he has type 1. (13 Feb 2002)

165. My 55 year old mother has type 2 diabetes treated with pills which is pretty well under control, but, for a week, she has had a sinus infection so her blood sugars have been over 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] most of the time. She has seen the doctor, who said the high blood sugars are because of the sinus infection. Could this be so? (13 Feb 2002)

166. My 11 year old son (diagnosed two months ago with type 1) will be attending an outdoor school science camp soon. Camp staff are very resistant to potential nighttime checks, and I'm concerned as to how to handle this situation if it should occur. (12 Feb 2002)

167. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 about three weeks ago, and, more often than not she s low, especially at night. What can I do to prevent the constant lows? (12 Feb 2002)

168. I am very interested in the pump and would like to try it out. The only problem is I've heard is that they are rather expensive. Could you tell me approximately how much it is and the costs to maintain it? (12 Feb 2002)

169. I am curious abut the GlucoWatch. Can you tell where I can find it and whether under 18's can use it? (12 Feb 2002)

170. My seven year old has type 1 diabetes, and I am concerned with her performance in school. There seems to be a pattern of target range blood sugar days correlating with good work and out of target numbers with very poor work. Is there any proven study that says that children with type 1 have some learning differences, not disabilities? (12 Feb 2002)

171. I have type 2 diabetes. I have noticed that 20-30 minutes after eating a meal rich in sweets, my blood sugar goes up and then drops back two hours later. Why is that? (12 Feb 2002)

172. What is the typical standard deviation for the A1c test? (12 Feb 2002)

173. I was recently in the hospital because I became sick from DKA, and I want to keep playing basketball. Will I have to take insulin for the rest of my life? Can I still play basketball in high school and college? (12 Feb 2002)

174. My seven year old boy, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was two, is very active, and although I try very hard to keep his sugars pretty much controlled, sometimes I just cannot get his sugars to stay in the normal range. Is there anything I could do or try when this situation arises? (12 Feb 2002)

175. I am 45 years old, have type 2 diabetes, and I have finally controlled my diabetes and have gotten off all medication due to a dramatic and hard earned weight loss. However, my doctor is probably going to start me on prednisone every other day for a year for another illness. How can I combat side effects of prednisone? (12 Feb 2002)

176. My 86 year old grandfather, who has type 2 diabetes, is in the hospital right now with congestive heart failure and may have surgery very soon. His favorite drink is a chocolate milk shake. Is there any way that I can make him a shake and still stay within his diet? If you can help, he may not be as grumpy as he is right now. (12 Feb 2002)

177. I am confused about Novolog. How is it different from Regular? What are the benefits to using it when it becomes available in the US? (11 Feb 2002)

178. My friend who got diabetes about seven months ago needs to lose weight, and at times has very high or very low numbers, so I am very concerned about him. He takes pills and does do his treadmill, but I don't think he eats properly or that the doctor has given him a specific diet. I would like to help him, but I really don't know enough about diabetes. (11 Feb 2002)

179. My two year old son, who has type 1 diabetes, has experienced a few seizures due to low blood sugar, but he was not unconscious. In this case, is it better to use a glucagon shot or to force honey or a like substance into the mouth? (11 Feb 2002)

180. Lately the readings on my meter have been extremely high. I exercise three times a week, watch what I eat, and the only real change is my meter and the strips I am using. I changed the batteries and tried new strips, but I did notice that the code in the meter was different from that on the strips. (11 Feb 2002)

181. I am 18 years old, and have had diabetes for two years, but I really do not know why it hit me since no one in the family suffered from it before and I was too slim already. Are there are any new inventions in the treatment of diabetes? (11 Feb 2002)

182. We want to get one of those insulin injection pens, and I've heard I heard some even dose in half-unit increments. We think it will be helpful for grandparents and at school, where he may need a lunchtime shot, but I have also heard that these pens don't accurately dispense. Is there a way to ensure the accuracy of the dose, using a pen, at this half-unit level? (11 Feb 2002)

183. My adult daughter has type 2 diabetes, and we are trying to locate an over-the-counter decongestant approved for people with diabetes, but can't seem to find one. Is there such a thing? (11 Feb 2002)

184. In addition to diabetes, our seven year son has a complex partial seizure disorder that qualifies him as a California Regional Center client. Do the requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 apply to services provided by the California Regional Centers? (11 Feb 2002)

185. We are just starting a teenage support group here, and I'd love to know whether your support groups move on a particular programme or what issues are tackled and how! (11 Feb 2002)

186. I had an elevated blood sugar three days after stopping prednisone and again during a two-hour glucose test. I am starting to get very concerned about this, and need some advice. (10 Feb 2002)

187. My 12 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Her diabetes team has her on low insulin doses, but she still is having lows every day! Is it possible that because we found out about her diabetes so early that she may recover if she gets on a strict diet? (10 Feb 2002)

188. My nine year old daughter, diagnosed seven months ago, is now out of the honeymoon phase and her daytime numbers are generally good with an A1c of 6.8%, but we have noticed that the closer she gets to her 2:30 am goal, the higher she is in the morning. Is it normal for the dawn phenomenon to be more dramatic the lower the blood sugar goes? What changes would you suggest? (10 Feb 2002)

189. Recently, I asked you a question about recovering on one's own from episodes of insulin shock or hypoglycemia after three to four hours, and I still cannot find this phenomenon addressed. Could it be related to the Somogyi phenomenon? (10 Feb 2002)

190. I work for a public junior high school and act as substitute health clerk. We have a 12 year old boy whose glucose ranges from normal to very high on any given day. I have called 911 for assistance when he became delusional with a very high reading, and they took him to the E.R. I have been told I over-reacted, but I don't agree. (10 Feb 2002)

191. My husband has had type 1 diabetes for 12 years, he eats meticulously, he checks his blood sugars around 10 times a day and takes NPH with Humalog, but no matter what we do we haven't been able to control his blood sugars. They told us that he has brittle diabetes, but we never got a good explanation of what that meant. (10 Feb 2002)

192. I wish to know if there is a possibility to reduce the hemoglobin A1c by exercises or diet. Mine is 6.9%, and although I am doing 30 minutes walk and diet, nothing changes. (10 Feb 2002)

193. My daughter has type 1 diabetes, and recently I was in the lobby of her doctor's office when two sales reps from Sooil were there to talk to the staff about the Dana insulin pump. I understand it is new to the US market. Where can I get more information on this pump other than the company's website? (10 Feb 2002)

194. My son has been using an insulin pump with Humalog for about three weeks. Lately, we have been changing the infusion set every two days in the evening. For a first night and day, after changing the set, his sugar is excellent, the next night and day, it gets worse, and, by a third day it is very high, even though his pump appears to be working. Why is this happening? (10 Feb 2002)

195. Is there any way to prevent diabetes from affecting the nerves in your legs? (10 Feb 2002)

196. I am 28 years old, and I'm trying to find new sites for insulin injections other than the basic four. One of your questions asked about injecting in the breast. The reply was that an accidental insulin injection was not harmful, but not recommended as a routine injection site. Please briefly explain the conflicts and why it is not recommended. (9 Feb 2002)

197. My 13 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three weeks ago, and she now seems to be going into her honeymoon phase, which I was does not usually happen when the children are this young. Could you tell me if there are any books that could tell me more about the honeymoon phase so maybe I could understand it better? Is it at all possible that she may be able to come off her insulin at some point? (9 Feb 2002)

198. Do you know where I can locate the survival or mortality rate for type 2 diabetes? (9 Feb 2002)

199. I had a glucose tolerance test, and I have gotten differing opinions from two doctors about the results. One of my doctors diagnosed type 2 diabetes and put me on Glucophage. My other doctor performed a Hemoglobin A1c which was 4.6%. This doctor says I should not be on Glucophage and that I do not have diabetes. Any insight into this? (9 Feb 2002)

200. My little sister (13 years old) is about a foot and a half shorter than everyone in her class. She also has gained forty or so pounds in a time span of about four months and hasn't been able to lose the weight. The doctor has put her on hormone therapy treatments, but nothing has changed. Is this common? (9 Feb 2002)

201. I am 35 years old, have type 1 diabetes, I am on a four shot a day program with Lantus and Humalog, and my last A1c was 6.3%. What is the target that is suggested for people with type 1 diabetes in order to maintain good long term health? How will going on the pump help make my control better than it is now? (9 Feb 2002)

202. My 13 year old son has been on the same dosage of Lantus for six weeks with very regular numbers, but recently he had an unexplained episode of prolonged hypoglycemia. Is there any evidence of problems occurring with Lantus so that it becomes concentrated? Do you have any other explanations for this terrifying night? (9 Feb 2002)

203. My four year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, has been on the insulin pump for two years, but in the past 18 months, she has had three scary nighttime episodes. Her doctors never confirmed nor denied that there were seizures or night terrors. Do I need to get my daughter evaluated for seizures or night terrors? (9 Feb 2002)

204. My 10 year old son, diagnosed four months ago, has been managing very well and is very athletic so the next time we go in for his check-up, I want to ask about using an insulin pump. He doesn't seem to mind the injections that he takes four times a day, but I thought a pump would be easier on him. Is this a good thing for athletes to be on? (9 Feb 2002)

205. My 14 year old daughter has become very unstable over the last few months with an A1c of 13.8%, and she has had three hospital admissions for ketoacidosis. Her condition seems to keep going down from bad to worse, yet no reason has yet been found for this happening. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. (9 Feb 2002)

206. I am in charge of Student Council at my high school and every year our high school has a big end of the year project. We have selected diabetes for our topic this year. Do you have any suggestions for a community service project for diabetes that involves making a difference in the lives of those with diabetes? (8 Feb 2002)

207. When I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a year ago, my testosterone level was normal, but not so high, and now my sugar is normal. Can diabetes affect testosterone level? (8 Feb 2002)

208. My nine year old has had type 1 diabetes for two years, and today, we received the news that she has a thyroid problem which will require taking Synthyroid once a day. Why is it common for people with diabetes to develop thyroid problems? Is it forever? Will the medicine have side effects? How will it help her? (6 Feb 2002)

209. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three days ago, and her doctor has referred her to a pediatric diabetes specialist. Can you please tell us what to expect as far as what kind of tests will they run? (6 Feb 2002)

210. I am 65 years old, I have type 2 diabetes, and I am being treated with metformin (one pill after lunch and dinner). What blood glucose level is acceptable in my case? Am I on the wrong track? (6 Feb 2002)

211. My 18 year old son was born with nesidioblastosis and had 95% of his pancreas removed at nine days of age. I wonder about the future. He has an annual blood sugar and liver function test which are normal. Is this enough? I also wonder as his mother whether I passed on a faulty gene or caused his problem. (6 Feb 2002)

212. I was diagnosed at age 23, and originally my doctor said I had type 2 diabetes, but now he says I have type 1.5 diabetes. What does this mean? Have you heard of people in my situation? Am I truly a type 1? (4 Feb 2002)

213. I want to know how best to travel by train with insulin. How long will I be safe if it is not refrigerated? Do you know of a storage container that can keep it at a uniform temperature? (4 Feb 2002)

214. I need help in finding a 1800 calorie diet for my mom, who has diabetes and has just been diagnosed with heart disease. Can you help me? (2 Feb 2002)

215. My girlfriend is out of work at this time, and I want to surprise her by ordering her insulin, but was told by one company I couldn't order for her. (2 Feb 2002)

216. My 11 year old likes his insulin at room temperature, but the bottles are only good for 28 days. It seems so wasteful to throw away two whole bottles of insulin a month! We can hardly tell he has used any insulin at all. How many units does the bottle contain? Do the insulin companies make any smaller vials for small users? (2 Feb 2002)

217. I am 13 now, and I don't give my own injections, or my own fingersticks. I am too scared to. I don't want to go to diabetes camp, and I will not go. I have to learn how to give my own shots and finger sticks within a year! (2 Feb 2002)

218. I am a 34 year old female with type 1 diabetes who has started weightlifting, with a goal of possibly becoming a body builder. I wear an insulin pump, use Humalog, and have no complications. I would like more information on whether it is safe to take some of the "bodybuilding supplements." (2 Feb 2002)

219. I have type 2 diabetes am taking my medications on a regular basis, but I have been depressed and stop them altogether. I am working to stay on top of things and feel good when sugars are in control, but lately my none of my sugars have been under 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. I have several problems I need help with. (2 Feb 2002)

220. My son was born very large, 10lb 4oz. He was given dextrose water and screamed uncontrollably for 3 days. He is now aged 15 years, and is still having the same difficulties if he has any glucose, dextrose, artificial sweeteners, etc. He also has the same anger fits if he becomes stressed. Any advice? (2 Feb 2002)

221. A sandwich gives me a "spike" in my blood sugar, but the same amount of carbohydrate in pasta does not. I want to know the approximate difference in the time it will take to become hypoglycemic after eating high versus low glycemic foods as this information would help me avoid becoming hypoglycemic at night. (2 Feb 2002)

222. My 11 year old daughter has been on the pump for two years with U-50 Humalog. For the last six weeks, she has had a fever of unknown origin and is exhausted all day. She has had numerous tests and has been on two courses two sets of antibiotics, but the doctors cannot find anything wrong with her. What do you think? (2 Feb 2002)

223. I have type 1 diabetes, and almost five months ago I had my TSH level checked which was normal. A recent result was also normal but higher. I have had some symptoms of being hypothyroid. Is this rather significant change a cause for concern? (2 Feb 2002)

224. I am 18 years old, have diabetes, and I am having many problems. A physician that I would like to go to does not take my insurance, and the doctor that I have been for the past three years as of this year does not accept my insurance. I am depressed because I don't know what else to do. (2 Feb 2002)

225. My seven year old daughter was diagnosed at age three. I don't feel like I have had time to really focus on meal planning, carb counting, and just her overall care the way I would like due to the long hours that I have to put in at my job. I am interested in taking FMLA time off to gain better control of my daughter's blood sugars, but I am not sure if I would be eligible. (1 Feb 2002)

226. My 47 year old brother, who has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 14, has been on dialysis for the past five years. He suffered two strokes, congestive heart failure, gastrointestinal problems, and has other problems. Would you please send any information concerning treatment, prognosis, or information useful in helping me to care for him? (1 Feb 2002)

227. I am 16 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for five years, and I am very active in sports. Sometimes, even when I'm high, I continue to run and play the sport, and it sometimes drags me down. Is it unhealthy to do this? (1 Feb 2002)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts