Question:

From Jersey City, New Jersey, USA:

I am 18 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since I was 10 years old, and I have been losing an extreme amount of weight since last year. My skin is so thin that when I inject myself, it hurts very much. I have severe pain on both of my feet, and x-rays have been done, but nothing shows up. I had kidney infections, but got better. Most of the time my sugar level is very low. I have gone to different diabetes doctors and been tested to see why I am losing so much weight, but I don't get any answer from the doctors. Why? I spend more time in the hospital and visiting my doctor than anything. Another physician that I would like to go to does not take my insurance, and the doctor that I have been to for the past three years as of this year does not accept my insurance either. I am depressed because I don't know what else to do. Please advise.

Answer:

I can empathize with your struggles regarding your care providers. It is a confusing disruptive system. It sounds like you need a doctor you can work with. I would talk with your primary physician to see if they can help refer you to an endocrinologist in the area where you can receive good care.

I am not sure why you are losing weight. However, there are a number of things that have to be done to investigate why. I do not think that you need exceptional care but you need someone who will work with you over time to address your issues. Issues such as blood sugar control, nutrition, and screening for other problems need to be done. Remember, you need to be your own advocate for your health. No one else will do it for you.

Posted to Insurance/Costs and Daily Care