From Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA:

My girlfriend is out of work at this time, and I want to surprise her by ordering her insulin, but was told by one company I couldn't order for her. I didn't think you needed a prescription for insulin. Keep in mind I want it to be a surprise because she is down. So I'd like to know if I can order some Humulin R and be discrete about it. There is no way to obtain any information from her without blowing her present.

In most States, Regular insulin is an over-the-counter medication and is available without a prescription. However, some pharmacies may insist on a doctor's prescription before dispensing this medication. I would suggest checking with your pharmacist.

[Editor's comment: You might also ask about a gift certificate from the pharmacy if they are reluctant to sell you the insulin. WWQ]