Question:

I want to know how best to travel by train in China with insulin, on a 10 day trip. How long will I be safe if it is not refrigerated? Do you know of a storage container that can keep it at a uniform temperature?

Answer:

Several thoughts:

• First choice: I would suggest the DiaPak since it can hold your insulin and all of your supplies. It seems like having everything in one place, especially on a train might be very beneficial. Anyway, it has a gel pack you put in your freezer and it keeps insulin cool for about a day or 2. Then I would assume there is a refrigerator/freezer on the train and you can put your gel pack in that, if not your insulin.
  • If no refrigeration is available on the train, insulin stored for 10 days without refrigeration should be okay, but if you notice your blood glucoses are very high, you might wish to have an extra bottle along and use that.
  • Another thought is to bring along a little thermos and fill it with crushed ice and keep your insulin on that. (Don't allow it to freeze, of course, so you may need to put the insulin in a little cloth before putting it on the ice.) Be sure to keep the cover on the thermos and after the ice has melted it will still be cooler than the outside temperature, so should be fine for your insulin.

LSF

[Editor's comment: All insulins should do fine at room temperature for a month or so. Enjoy your trip! WWQ]

DTQ-ONCDMGB20020114
Posted to Traveling and Insulin