Question:

From Victoria, Minnesota, USA:

My almost 10 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 about four months ago, has been managing very well (last hemoglobin A1c was 8%) and is very athletic so the next time we go in for his check-up, I want to ask about using an insulin pump. He plays hockey in the Winter, baseball in the Spring, and he wants to start football this Fall. He doesn't seem to mind the injections that he takes four times a day, but I thought a pump would be easier on him. I am just worried about him getting hit where his pump is. Can you explain a little bit more about the pump? Is this a good thing for athletes to be on?

Answer:

There are lots of reasons for using insulin pump, but the best folks to help you make such decisions are your son's diabetes team. Since they know your son and also your family quite well, they should be able to give you some ideas about how pump treatment takes place, what criteria they use to consider pump treatment etc.

Good books to get and read since they also provide excellent information are:

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

Also see Insulin Pumps and Is pumping for you? on this site.

It might be helpful for you and your son to visit some of our Chat Rooms to ask these same questions.

SS

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Exercise and Sports