From a Certified Diabetes Educator:

Do you know where I can locate the survival or mortality rate for type 2 diabetes?

Mortality rates depend so much on the group surveyed, and in any case are changing as new technologies take effect. Perhaps these figures will help, though: Statistics Diabetes Surveillance, 1999.

Additional comments from Dr. Jim Lane:

I have a book published by the ADA which is called the Book of Vital Statistics. Not sure if you can see this on-line.

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

I would be very careful in quoting mortality statistics. These figures are gleaned from death certificates, which may or may not correctly indicate the role of diabetes in causing the death. So while the figures are a crude guideline, they certainly do not represent cause and effect.

Posted to Type 2