Question:

From Billerica, Massachusetts, USA:

My 13 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three weeks ago, and she now seems to be going into her honeymoon phase, which I was told does not usually happen when the children are this young. Is this a good thing or am I getting excited for nothing? Could you tell me if there are any books that could tell me more about the honeymoon phase so maybe I could understand it better? Is it at all possible that she may be able to come off her insulin at some point? I am trying to find more children her age to get some information but don't seem to be able to.

Answer:

The honeymoon phase is merely a quiet phase when some insulin is produced. This is less likely to occur in the very young child, but sometimes it does. It usually last about three to six months, but that is very variable. Many folks, including us, do not totally stop insulin during this phase but merely cut down the dosage. Stay in close contact with your diabetes team, and they can give you support and guidance as to exactly how you should respond.

The best diabetes teaching manual is Insulin-Dependent Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Adults - How to become an expert on your own diabetes by Ragnar Hanas from Sweden. It is very thorough and has a good explanation of honeymoon phase.

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

You might also find Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin very helpful in managing a child this young. I would also suggest that you visit the Chat Rooms at this website to find other parent who have been through or are raising a toddler with diabetes.

SS

Posted to Honeymoon and Daily Care